These Terms and Conditions
- “A1” means A1 Self-Drive
- “the Customer” means the person, firm or organization by or on behalf of whom the Vehicle is rented under these Terms and Conditions
- “Authorised Driver” means the driver(s) additional to the customer approved and entered overleaf by A1. The customer will ensure that any authorised Driver will comply with these Terms and Conditions.
- “Vehicle” means the vehicle described overleaf
- “CDW” means Collision Damage Waiver
- “TPI” means Third Party Insurance relating to Third Party motor liability
- “Insurer” means the insurance company through which TPI is arranged
- A1 agrees to rent and the Customer agrees to take the Vehicle on the Terms and Conditions as set out herein.
- The Customer will pay A1 on demand or within 360 days of the date of this agreement whichever is the sooner all charges due hereunder including where relevant, sums in respect of insurance. CDW, VAT, all taxes, surcharges and additional charges.
- CDW and TPI is available from A1, surcharges and additional charges subject to the terms of issue. A1 will always require a current valid full driving licence held for at least 12 months prior to rental, and reserves the right to inspect such licence. Driver abuse of the Vehicle is excluded from these insurance Vehicles for which CDW and TPI is taken out are rented to the Customer on condition that the Customer complies with the respective Terms and Conditions. Neither A1 nor its insurers will accept any liability for loss or damage caused whilst a Vehicle is rented to a Customer who does not comply with these conditions, and the customer agrees to indemnify A1 for any liability so incurred. The Customer will supply any information concerning the driver(s) of the rented Vehicle to A1 upon demand and undertakes to allow A1 direct access to the driver(s) of the Vehicle and will fully co-operate is obtaining such access. If CDW is not taken out by the Customer, the Customer will be liable for the full cost of any damage sustained to the Vehicle. In all cases where Customer’s Own Insurance has not been requested, TPI is mandatory. For the avoidance of doubt Damage Excess applies not only to damage to but also theft of the Vehicle. The Customer will use its best endeavours to supply full details of any Third Party Vehicle involved in any accident with the Vehicle.
- If the Customer has opted to arrange its own insurance of the Vehicle, the cover must be comprehensive. Any excess on the policy is the responsibility of the Customer. A1 reserves the right to ask for satisfactory proof of the Customer’s own insurance prior to the commencement of rental. The Customer is responsible for ensuring the Vehicle is properly insured from the time of delivery until 12.00 hours on the first working day following termination of the rental and indemnifies A1 against any loss incurred or damage to the Vehicle in the event that such cover fails to be effective. If the Customer becomes aware of any changes in their insurance cover during the period of rental A1’s insurance department must be notified immediately in writing. In the event of accident/loss or damage to the Vehicle A1 will undertake repairs or select a repairer if applicable and will invoice the Customer for such repairs and any associated costs. Such invoice will be subject to payment on demand. A1 may at its discretion accept payment from the Customer’s insurers however ultimate responsibility is with the Customers. A1 reserves the right to inspect the Customer’s driving licence or that of his servant or agent and the Customer undertakes to ensure that any driver using the rented Vehicle holds a full (not provisional) licence.
- A1 will accept no responsibility for loss and/or damage caused while a Vehicle is rented to a Customer, and the Customer indemnifies A1 for any loss, damage or liability so incurred.
- The Customer acknowledges that not withstanding the provisions of (3) and (4) above it has a duty to ensure that all reasonable care is taken of the Vehicle against damage or loss throughout the rental period. This includes but is not restricted to responsibility for any loss or damage to the Vehicle or its accessories as a result of theft occurring when the Customer or its servants or agent has left the keys in or with the Vehicle and the Customer hereby indemnifies A1 against such loss or damage.
- The Customer undertakes to ensure that the Vehicle is not subject to overloading in respect of number of persons or weight of goods carried within the Vehicle during the rental period.
- The Customer undertakes to return the Vehicle with all tyres, tools, audio equipment and other accessories in the same condition as when received to the place and on the date set down overleaf. If special cleaning is required for whatever reason A1 will make a separate charge to cover the cost of any cleaning and/or repair work required.
- The Vehicle are rented out at a daily rate according to the agreed charge, one day being defined as any period of 24 hours from the time of commencement of the rental agreement. A grace period of 59 minutes is allowed for after time due back. After this a day’s charge will be made.
- The agreed rental period will not exceed 90 days.
- If at completion, the Customer has complied with all the Terms and Conditions stipulated herein, but, not otherwise and subject to condition 6 above responsibility for loss or damage to the Vehicle or its accessories is:
- The full cost of any damage to the Vehicle if CDW has not been purchased.
- Insured by the insurer if the Customer purchases CDW at the time of first entering into this agreement, subject to any insurance excess.
- Insured by the Customer if applicable.
- All Vehicles are supplied with a full tank of fuel, If a Vehicles is delivered to the Customer, the Customer is liable for the cost of the fuel from the time it leaves the A1 branch until such time as it is returned to an A1 Branch. The Vehicle will be refueled upon return to an A1 Branch and the Customer accepts responsibility for the cost of such refueling at the prevailing A1 rate per litre.
- The customer is liable for all penalties for offences committed under traffic regulations including, but not restricted to, parking tickets, clamping fines, compound charges and speeding fines incurred during the period of hire. If these remain unpaid they will be charged to the Customer, together with an administration charge equivalent to the actual cost of the penalty incurred.
- At the termination of the rental it is the Customer’s responsibility to ensure that the Vehicle is parked in a suitable place to allow collection at any time up to a period of 6 working hours from termination without the imposition of any parking or clamping fines or towing or compound charges. If this provision is not complied with then the Customer shall be responsible for such penalties. If these remain unpaid they shall be charged to the customer together with an administration charges of no more than an amount equivalent to the actual cost of the penalty incurred.
- The Customer will immediately inform A1 of any fault in the Vehicle and will not use the Vehicle whilst it is not in a roadworthy condition. A1 will provide roadside cover 24 hours a day in the cases of a breakdown in mainland United Kingdom. Accident calls are excluded from this cover. In the event that the Vehicle remains immobile after call out. A1 will. At its discretion, either replace the Vehicle or make alternative arrangements for the driver/passenger(s). If the Vehicle is used outside the United Kingdom and becomes inoperable A1 cannot guarantee that this service will be available. A1 accepts no responsibility for delays and/or any loss including consequential loss arising from breakdown or from any other circumstance.
- The Vehicle will be not used:
- For the carriage of passengers or property for hire or reward without the express agreement of A1.
- For racing, pace-making, reliability trials, speed testing or driving instruction.
- To propel or tow any other Vehicle or trailer.
- In violation of the provision of any legislation, order or regulation affective the use, loading or condition of the Vehicle or for any other illegal purpose.
- Outside mainland United Kingdom without the express agreement of A1.
- The Vehicle will not be driven by any person:
- Other than the Customer or an Authorised Driver.
- Who is under the age of 21 or over the age of 75. This may be modified by restrictions imposed by A1 relating to its Vehicles from time to time.
- Who has not held a full valid driving licence for a minimum of 12 months.
- Who is under the influence of alcohol, hallucinatory drugs, narcotics or barbiturates
- Whose driving licence is subject to restrictions due to disability of infirmity.
- The Customer acknowledges that any property placed within the Vehicle is there at their own risk and that A1 has no responsibility for such property.
- The Customer will at A1’s request do all things required by A1 on its behalf and on behalf of the Insurers and permit his name to be used by A1 for enforcing any rights or remedies against any persons in connection with the Vehicle.
- The Customer or any authorised driver of the Vehicle will in no way be deemed to be the agent, servant or employee of A1.
- A1 will not either on its own behalf or on behalf of its Insurer’s waive any if its rights hereunder except in writing signed by a duly authorized representative at A1 or its Insurer’s respectively.
- A1 reserves the right not to reimburse any repairs in excess of ₤10 not authorised in advance by A1.
- A1 reserves the right to terminate the rental to which this agreement refers if it becomes aware of any breach by the Customer of these Terms and Conditions.
- The Customer acknowledges that A1 is entitled to charge any credit or charge card nominated at the time the rental is effected for any charges due to A1 pursuant to this agreement.